(on Thurs, I will be done with grad night-school for a month or so. reason to party. help me find some reasonable watering holes) My favorite drink is a Rusty Nail. I’ve ordered it everywhere, been served all sorts of scotch/drambouie ratios, and I’ve paid all kinds of prices. It’s been a fun experiment (ongoing, actually), but I’d really rather just buy that drink from the few places that offer a generous pour for the least irksome price.
Here are my findings thus far (as best I can recall):
- Avalon: $7.25 (average sized, but liquors in proportion)
- Bogarts: $5.25 (medium sized for a small price)
- Bacchus: $7.75 (not quite big enough for that price)
- The White Dog: $6.50 – $8.25 (I’ve ordered several here, so the price might be going down as I teeter on ‘regular’ status)
- Can Can: $9-10 (it’s at least a double serving)
- !Caliente!: $7 (a disappointing thimble-full that still packed a punch)
- Mezzanine: $8-10.50 (first time, it was $8 and second time it was $10.50 – neither time very generous)
- Verbena: $7 (not small. no complaints, except they served it to me as a martini the first time).
That Bogarts price may have been a slip up. The bartender seemed a little new. Can Can seems like the big winner, due to quantity (although a little too much emphasis on client appearance – prefer dark holes in the wall). Most Richmond restaurant bars don’t have Drambouie and therefore can’t make a Rusty Nail (probably because they serve mostly 20-something PBR fiends). But I love it when a bartender agrees to try and approximate the drink (an experiment that I enjoy at home, since the liqueur is really steep at the ABC store). So, if you know of a place in Richmond that’s worth adding to my search, or maybe even a bartender to ask for by name, please speak up. JGF shout-outs are permitted. His place has FREE chips’n’salsa, which puts it on my list of eventual destinations (although I don’t prefer to jump through hoops for a $7-10 drink). How about favorite scotches to go in a Rusty Nail? Whatever you’ve got to say, it’s sure to add to my rebound from academia.
Looking forward to that bev. Oh, and please be nice in the comments. Drama doesn’t make a drink taste better, in my opinion.